.......... .. .. ........... "Once In A While You Get Shown The Light In The Strangest Of Places If You Look At It Right" :Robert Hunter

All of the music recordings on this site are recordings of independent origin (ROIOs) Music that has not been officially released. If you are an artist or a legal representative of an artist and you do not want your ROIO shared on my site for free among your fans (and creating new fans), just tell me in the comment area and I will remove them. By the way these recordings exist. They won't go away. All of them can be found at various places on line. Sharing just keeps the fans that support the artists from having to get ripped off by purchasing them on auction sites, and it also introduces music to people who would never have known the artist, creating a stronger fan base.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Grateful Dead and New Riders and Joan Baez, 12-31-1981

This is my favorite New Years concert that I attended. And this is as complete a record of the show as you will find anywhere. I left late at night on the 27th after my work shift and drove alone up to Oakland from Southern Cal. I went alone because some of my friends went ahead and some could only come for the New Years show. I went up without any tickets in hand and I arrived in Oakland very early on the morning of 28th and proceeded to total my car due to brake failure (poor maintenance on my part). I T-boned a Ford Pinto with my 74 Toyota Corolla several blocks away from the Oakland Auditorium. Luckily no one was hurt so left my car in a yellow zone and walk to the Auditorium. When I arrived the people who were cleaning up the Auditorium from the show the night before were coming out of the building. A nice guy named Ray Augustine that I had met through mutual friends came out and proceeded to give me a ticket for that nights show. Things started looking up. Soon I found my friends dog Althea and followed it to my friend Rob's tent in the park. We salvaged what we could from my car and then went to the show that night. I slept in a tent the rest of my stay in the park right in front of the Oakland Auditorium. And it rained and rained. The 29th was a day between shows and I went back to were my car was and it had not been towed. So I had it towed to a junk yard. The 30th I again was able to get a ticket and saw the show (great first set). On the 31st it was raining a lot and I had no tickets and had five friends who came up without tickets. I bought a ticket to the BART train and hung out in the station and found six tickets at face value from Dead Heads as they came off the trains. So I was in and my friends were too. We entered the building as early as we could to get out of the rain. The New Riders were an opening act and as I remember they had some other things to keep us entertained like jugglers and such. When you listen to the new riders show you will hear them state that it was still four hours until midnight. Joan Baez came out and did some solo acoustic tunes and then one by one the Grateful Dead joined her. First the drummers for a Arabic new years song and then Bob Weir on Acoustic guitar. When Jerry came out he picked up and acoustic guitar and started to strum it and nothing came out. He looked upset and proceeded to pick up his electric guitar. So the acoustic set did not appear to turn out as planned. Then there was a long set break and then the real show started with a fantastic first set full of treats like one of the first Big Boss Man's played since 1972, and special guest Matt Kelly on harmonica as well as another appearance of Joan Baez. As new years eave approached Ken Keasy came down on a cable from the ceiling and was hanging above the stage standing on a cable that went off horizontally into the rafters. he talked about the old days and lead the whole crowd in a mass hyperventilation, and then the countdown. At twelve Bill Graham wearing an skeleton mask and dressed as Uncle Sam rode a giant joint down to the stage and the band started their second electric set with Iko Iko. After this there was another set break and then band came out and played the first Dark Star since January of 1979 (and they would only play one more in he next eight years). The show ended with Jerry and Joan Baez singing All Over Baby Blue, and they told us to stick around for breakfast. I left the building as the sun was coming up and started the new years without a car and needing a ride home but still happy as ever. This was not the best performace ever. Sure there are flaws. But it was a great time and one I won't forget. The cover artwork I drew myself back in the day (an Arizona Jones original).

Grateful Dead (with opening acts)
Oakland Auditorium
Oakland, CA
12-31-1981
Soundboard

New Riders of the Purple Sage
01: Henry
02: Night For Making Love
03: The Way She Dances
04: Dirty Business
05: Full Moon At Midnight
06: Up Against The Wall Redneck
07: Minglewood Blues
08: Panama Red
09: Last Lonely Eagle

John Dawson - guitar
David Nelson - guitars
Buddy Cage - pedal steel
Allen Kemp - bass
Patrick Shanahan - drums
Total Time 48:51

Joan Baez Solo Set:
01 - Land Of A Thousand Dances
02 - Do Right Woman
03 - The Boxer
04 - Tunisian New Year Song

Acoustic Set (w/ Joan Baez):
05 - Me & Bobby McGee
06 - Bye Bye Love
07 - Lucifer's Eyes
08 - Children Of The 80's
09 - Banks Of The Ohio Electric Set 1:
01 - Shakedown Street
02 - Me And My Uncle >
03 - Mexicali Blues
04 - Cold Rain And Snow
05 - C C Rider*
06 - It Must Have Been The Roses** >
07 - Beat It On Down The Line
08 - Big Boss Man* >
09 - New Minglewood Blues*
10 - Don't Ease Me In Electric Set 2:
01 - Ken Kesey Banter/Midnight Countdown
02 - Iko Iko
03 - Playing In The Band >
04 - Terrapin Station >
05 - Playing In The Band >
06 - Drums > 01 - Space >
02 - The Other One# >
03 - Not Fade Away# >
04 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad# >
05 - Morning Dew

Electric Set 3:
06 - Dark Star >
07 - Bertha >
08 - Good Lovin'
Encore:
09 - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue**
* with Matthew Kelly
** with Joan Baez
# with John Cipolina

All are Mp3/320k except Joan Baez and acoustic are mp3/vbr
http://www.mediafire.com/?5kr5kkbz8z61btk New Riders,1981-12-31
http://www.mediafire.com/?c9lgbe2giqe8g2b GD 1981-12-31,disc one
http://www.mediafire.com/?52r7748pjyg7inj GD 1881-12-31,disc two
http://www.mediafire.com/?e81l5dj3h2gca64 GD 1881-12-31,disc three
http://www.mediafire.com/?s7p7vuu6qe7jrdv GD 1881-12-31,disc four


3 comments:

  1. so cool man, i've seen cuts from that show, like Bill's entrance and such. Have you ever checked out SPPS, Steam Powered Preservation Society?
    They have some olders Peter Rowan and stuff.
    www.thespps.org

    thanks for the dloads and all the info that goes with'em

    from the Smoky Mtns Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Thanks Arazona. Happy New Year (Tennesseefred)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, like Jeeze, man, this here is like a trip through the tulips. Thank ya!

    ReplyDelete